Housing Musings

Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Goose that Laid the Golden Egg



After my last post I was kind of appalled at the tone my blog has taken lately. Very down, for a very long time. This is not me. I am an optimist. I'm a little sick and tired of BANKS, and I've allowed them to get me down, like everybody else, and it occurred to me that I would say one last thing about them and then GET OVER IT.

As a child development major in college, I was enthralled with fairy tales. I love the way they seem to apply to everything, all the time. What I'm thinking about now is the story of the goose that laid golden eggs. If you remember, Aesop's famous fable features a husband and wife (read: bankers) who possess a goose (the housing industry) who lays golden eggs (interest payments, future mortgages, business loans, credit cards of homeowners, the list goes on and on). One day, they just can't wait for the one egg a day that the goose lays, and, thinking she must be full of solid gold inside, they kill her to take her wonderful golden stores all at once. Then they find out that inside, she was just an ordinary goose who happened to lay one golden egg a day. Classic, yes?

Anyway, I have a very busy day ahead...a visit with a client, an open house, and then a late afternoon showing of one of my listings with a new buyer. So, in spite of everything, things are really good. Humans are nothing if not irrepressible. Which reminds me of one more story, involving Conan the Barbarian. Toward the end of the movie, the evil warlord who killed Conan's parents when he was a child and pressed him into slavery found himself at the point of Conan's sword. He said, "Wait, wait! You owe me your life as you know it. I made you the incredible, strong and powerful person you are today!" If you haven't seen the movie, I won't spoil it for you by telling you what happens next.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home