Housing Musings

Friday, February 27, 2009

To breed or not to breed

Somewhere between the baby dearth of the early '70's and the lady who just had the 8 babies by in vitro fertilization is a responsible attitude toward procreation that will satisfy the urge to reproduce and provide growth for the future while being sensitive to the current economic climate.

My Portuguese Water Dog Cleo (yes, the Obama's are going to get one) is in heat. Because of her previous litter (she had puppies at the urging of my kids, a year and a half ago with Riley, an amazingly good looking, easygoing couch-potato stud muffin of a dog who took two awards of merit at Westminster), we have an opportunity to breed her again to this amazing dog Chopin who took breed two of the four days at the recent Chicago International Kennel Club dog show. To accomplish this, I have to drive to Detroit, where Chopin is again wowing the world at yet another dog show, and get the lovebirds a room, or a utility closet, or the back of a van. Maybe this is too much information, sorry, but Cleo is very interested in doing this. She has told me as much.

I was trying to explain why I'm considering doing this to a friend of mine. Why? she said. I struggled to find words. The puppies are so cute, I said. She said, you slept in your basement for 8 weeks. Yes, but, we have this line going, and I need to develop it. She said, what??? I fumbled again. I am a real estate broker, not a dog breeder, although financial rewards for brokerage are about on par with dog breeding these days...she said the economy is bad, you might not sell the puppies, it's very stressful, don't do it. I thought about it. I told my daughter I wasn't going to do it. She said I would regret not doing it. Cleo makes gorgeous puppies. I didn't believe her. But now, here, a mere few hours later, I am again reconsidering, being compelled by some irrational desire for puppies. The puppies are so cute. Also the dogs. Last time I kept two. My husband has threatened to leave me if I keep any more from any future breedings.

Maybe what I mean by all this is that there is a crying need for a thought to the future, now especially. Having offspring, canine or otherwise, is the ultimate vote of confidence in the times to come. I think that is what is really going on here. We all need a little confidence. And if it is cute, and black and white with hair (not fur!) then so much the better. More on Cleo's puppies as things develop...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home